Things You Need to Know About Australia Study Visa

Australia is known for its multicultural society, diversity and landscapes. The natural beauty and comfortable life attract everyone but the world-class educational institutions attract more international students. More and more people want to study in Australia. Anyone who wants to study in Australia can apply for a study visa. Getting a study visa is not as easy as people think. If anyone is not much aware of a study visa process, can take assistance from education consultants in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney or any other region where they want to study.  

Before Coming to Australia

If you want to come to Australia, you should know:

  • If you are an international student and want to study in Australia, you will need to obtain a student visa, also known as Subclass 500.
  • Anyone who has been admitted to full-time in a course that is listed in the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) can apply for a student visa.
  • Before applying for a study visa, proof of admission should be obtained from the registered institution.
  • A list of approved courses is available on the CRICOS website. Check the list of courses that are available for international students and know all about available courses.

Apart from taking admission in the course, there are many requirements for a study visa. 

  • You should have sufficient funds that you need to show at the time of your visa application as proof. 
  • Your health should be good and should have a medical certificate approved by an Australian approved doctor. 
  • Your character should be good. To prove this you need to obtain a character certificate from the Police or military.
  • Also, you must have overseas health insurance cover and also pass the English test.

The application fee for this visa starts at $620 AUD. And anyone can apply for a study visa who want to study in Australia. There is no limitation on the approval of a number of study visas from the Australian Govt. 

On Arrival in Australia

After reaching Australia, there are a few conditions that you need to follow: 

  • You can work up to 40 hours in a fortnight to meet your expenses while studying in Australia. 
  • Full-time work is allowed during the holidays. As the main purpose of granting student visas in Australia is to study, not work. So these rules are for the betterment of the students and they should follow.
  • On a student visa, you can also bring one of your family members who can stay with you during your studies.
  • The duration of the student visa depends on the course but it can be up to five years.
  • If you still did not read the visa grant letter, it is advised to read it carefully so that you are well aware of the terms and conditions of the study visa. 
  • If the study visa conditions are violated then the visa can also be cancelled.

Generally, people do not pay attention to the last date of the visa. Visa expiry day is most important when you are landing in Australia. So it is necessary to check the visa expiry so that you can take the necessary steps accordingly.

After the End of Studies

Want to what conditions may come when your studies ended, Check here:

  • It is possible that your visa gets expired before your studies end. In this situation, you can apply for a visitor visa (Subclass 600).
  • If you want to stay in Australia after your studies for getting work experience or an internship, you can apply for either the temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) or the skilled recognized graduate visa (subclass 476).
  • A temporary graduate visa is available in two streams – graduate workstream and post-study workstream.
  • Graduate work allows students to work and study in Australia for 18 months.
  • Post-study workstream usually allows to work and study for two to four years in Australia as per the course duration.
  • The Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa is specially designed for engineering graduates who have completed their degrees from some specialized institutes.

Points to Remember

Here are a few points that you need to remember for a study visa:

  • The CRICOS website contains a list of all educational institutions and courses that are available to international students in Australia.
  • Students on Student Visa (Subclass 500) can work for 40 hours every fortnight.
  • One can apply for either the Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) or the Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa (Subclass 476) after completing the studies.


Applying for a student visa and taking admitted to most renowned colleges is not as simple as we think. So before taking any decision to study in Australia you need to consult with any of the education consultants such as Asia Pacific Group who can guide you well about choosing a college for study, suitable courses for as per your interest and all about necessary information for a study visa. 


Bella Cameron is a Content Manager and educational consultant in Asia Pacific Group, a Migration Agents in Melbourne. Apart from this, she loves to write blogs on the latest technologies and different aspects of education.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button