Bones provide solid structure assisting motion and maintaining upright stature. Care is require no matter it is mild pain or severe damage otherwise one has to face abrasive consequences. Seeking medical help is an intelligent move to cure timely. We cannot ignore routine activities like lifting weight, grabbing, picking, and holding things. These chores may put strain over the shoulder joint leading to joint issues. One such concern is rotator cuff injury. Here we will discuss what activities bring about this condition and how an orthopedic surgeon in Lahore work upon it to make a patient feel better.
What is the rotator cuff and how does its injury occur?
Understanding the structure of joints and the nature of injury by the patient helps to attain cooperation for further proceedings. Our shoulder is a ball and socket joint and the rotator cuff is a set of tendons and muscles around it, guarding and providing secure movement of a joint. Rotator cuff ensures firm placement of the head of the upper arm into a socket of the shoulder bone. Wear and tear to this strong muscles band is call rotator cuff injury which highly affects stability and joint motion. Immediate consultancy of an orthopedic surgeon is required to prevent further complications.
Symptoms encountered include the dull ache that feels deep inside the shoulder. The patient has disturbed sleep because of the discomfort it brings about. Doing activities like trying to reach hand behind the back and raising the arm even while combing hair becomes tough. Weakness is felt in the arm and shoulder affecting work efficiency.
What causes the injury?
Consistent overhead activities which involve raising the arm repetitively like in construction work, painting or carpentry can lead to rotator cuff irritation or injury. Moreover, prolonged lifting of heavy objects or a sudden hit or jerk to the shoulder can damage the rotator cuff. Further, growing age weakens bones and muscles so old people are more at risk of getting this ailment if they put stress over the shoulder. People around or more than 60 years are report with this complaint in abundant. In many cases, family history is form to be the reason for rotator cuff injury so it may be a hereditary issue.
On the visit to an orthopedic surgeon, the patient is examined physically and have to pass through certain imaging tests for correct evaluation. For physically examination doctor presses the shoulder from different areas, check the range of motion, and pain triggering angle by moving the arm in various directions. He will look for the strength of muscles and tendons in the shoulder.
Imaging tests include:
- An X-ray may not clarify damage to the rotator cuff but give a detailed study of bone damage, if any. It helps to rule out other conditions like arthritis, bone spurs or fragments that may be a reason to shoulder pain.
- Ultrasound helps to produce soft-tissue images revealing damage to muscles and tendons. Its dynamic testing let the doctor observe shoulder structure while moving. A very useful test to differentiate between the healthy and injured shoulder.
- For high detail imagery MRI is ordered which shows the structure of the shoulder in great depth. An orthopedic surgeon can get a deep insight into the issue through this diagnostic test.
Connected to the extent of damage treatment can be surgical or non-surgical. Immediate remedies as suggested by experts include rest, ice, and compression. These initial treatments sometimes help to recover naturally and gain lost strength through physical therapies as directed by a doctor but those that don’t cure need further treatment methods like injections into the shoulder for relieving severe pain and inflammation. However, therapeutic injections cannot be repeat frequently as they may damage the strength of the rotator cuff. Exercises are designed to help restore natural motion by strengthening muscles and increasing their flexibility. Also, physical therapy is much needed after rotator cuff surgery.
A point may reach where conservative methods don’t work anymore, there, surgery becomes essential to get things better. The surgical procedure opted could be:
- Arthroscopic surgery by which a pencil-like tool with a camera and light on top is insert into the shoulder through a small incision. Tools to repair and reattach damage tendons to bone are insert through other small cuts nearby. Its minimal invasive technique helps to recover fast and wounds heal quickly after surgery.
- Open surgery to repair tendons for which large incision is make over affect area and tendons are reattach to the bone using surgical hardware. In some cases open surgery becomes essential.
- A tendon transfer is conceiver when torn tendon is too short to stitch back. For this, a tendon from the nearby or healthy joint is remove and attach in place of a damage one.
- Shoulder replacement under the most crucial conditions is the better decision to make. The damage joint is replace with prosthetic parts that replicate the original joint motion. For better stability, this technique is improve with the introduction of reverse shoulder arthroplasty. What happens is that the placement of the ball and socket is reverse. A socket is attach to the arm bone while the ball to a shoulder bone. The method is innovative yet workable.
Don’t delay as the condition could worsen by ignoring minor injuries. Be quick to consult an orthopedic surgeon in Lahore as they are worthy of treating the issue right. Untreated rotator cuff injury gives way to an everlasting motionless joint, also it will source weakness and disintegration of the shoulder joint. Initially, it is better to rest the joint but gradually make physical therapy and exercise as suggested by the orthopedic surgeon in Lahore your routine practice to prevent the shoulder from freezing. It helps to strengthen muscles and increase their flexibility preventing future complications.
Associated with the degree of harm treatment can be careful or non-careful. Quick cures as recommended by specialists incorporate rest, ice, and pressure. These underlying medicines in some cases help to recuperate normally and gain lost strength through non-intrusive treatments as coordinated by a specialist yet those that don’t fix need further treatment strategies like infusions into the shoulder for easing serious torment and irritation. Be that as it may, helpful infusions can’t be rehash every now and again as they might harm the strength of the rotator sleeve. Practices are intend to assist with reestablishing normal movement by fortifying muscles and expanding their adaptability. Likewise, active recuperation is genuinely necessary after rotator sleeve medical procedure.
Open a medical procedure to fix ligaments for which huge cut is make over orthopedic surgeon in Lahore and ligaments are reattach deep down utilizing careful equipment. At times open a medical procedure becomes fundamental.
A ligament move is imagine when torn ligament is too short to even consider sewing back. For this, a ligament from the close by or solid joint is eliminate and connect instead of a harm one.
Shoulder substitution under the most critical circumstances is the better choice to make. The harm joint is supplant with prosthetic parts that imitate the first joint movement. For better steadiness, this procedure is improve with the presentation of converse shoulder arthroplasty. What happens is that the situation of the ball and attachment is switch. An attachment is join to the arm bone while the ball to a shoulder bone. The technique is imaginative yet functional.